– If you build or upgrade your printer with/to DUAL-EXTRUSION (2 extruders) including a heated bed all the output ports (D8, D9, D10) will be used. In this case, there is no option to connect a firmware controlled FAN to RAMPS board directly. However, in Sprinter/Marlin firmware there is an option already (Marlin: BOARD=34) which redirects the FAN to RAMPS output D4. But this solution needs a “buffer/driver” in order to work.
– The RRD-FAN-EXTENDER is exactly what you need in this case. It is a plug and plays solution to mount the FAN for DUAL-EXTRUSION setups with RAMPS1.4. But instead of adding only one additional output port the RRD-FAN-EXTENDER is equipped with 2 PWM controllable channels(D6/D11). The second channel can be used for another fan(e.g. to cool the stepper driver) or for adding light control (e.g. add dimmable LED light to your machine).
– Support Max 20V
– 2 (PWM controllable) channels (D6/D11)
– Easy to install, Plug and Play
– Support per channel Max 0.5A, enough for a big fan
– Flexible output voltage (you can connect the RRD-FAN-EXTENDER to 12V,5V,… in order to support the output voltage you need)
– Already supported by Marlin firmware (choose “#define MOTHERBOARD 34”)
– Easy to adapt to other firmware (e.g. Sprinter: just change “#define FAN_PIN 6” in “pins.h”)
1. You need Marlin firmware v3 or newer. If you are using the older firmware, you must re-flash your board.
2. Power up, two connecting fans will take turns to rotate.
3. Can be connected follow the description picture.
1 x Reprap Ramps1.4 RRD Fan Extender (The fan and the board are not included)